Cupboard Chili

Don't be fooled by the title folks, this dish has it going on, despite how it sounds.

With each day never being long enough to let me do all the things I wish I could do, I'm finding my cooking time diminishing.  Eating healthy is not only more costly, but is is also incredibly time consuming. I cherish cooking and the calmness that comes over me when I'm entangled in the warmth and stirring smells of the kitchen, but it quickly becomes a chore when other items on my to do list trump it.  To not eat out during my lunch hour requires planning and prepping; and to make a homemade dinner every night definitely requires at least 30 minutes to an hour of cooking. With classes, running, errands to be ran, and events I like to attend...it's hard to do find the time to squeeze this in.

I have slowly started to take advantage of my crock-pot.  Knowing that I would have no time to eat, let alone cook anything for dinner the other night before class, I knew my crock-pot would save me. I whipped this "cupboard" chili (not to be confused with cardboard) together during my lunch break.  My cupboards were filled with beans, fridge with corn, tomatoes, and carrots...viola! Dinner! By the time I came home all I had to do was get out the Tupperware. Thank you crock-pot. You may be really old and ugly, but you sure make a mean cupboard chili.  



Here is my recipe...but I suggest you throw in whatever items you like or have on hand! 

1 can Black Beans
2 can White Northern Beans
2 cans diced tomatoes or 2 cups of fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 small can of tomato paste (optional)
1 1/2 cup of Corn
3 medium Carrots, peeled/chopped
2 cups Vegetable Broth
1/2 Onion, chopped
Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
Dash of Cayenne Pepper/Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoons Oregano
1 teaspoon Cumin and Basil
Salt 'n Pepper


Saute onions in olive oil until tender.
Add beans, broth, carrots, corn, and onions to crock-pot.  
Stir then add spices. 
Leave on high for 2-3 hours. 
(I'm sure if needed, you could leave this on low for longer)

So that's it. A yummy, healthy chili for when you are on the go. 
Great thing about soups is that if you make too much, you can freeze them for later! 

Yummers. :)


Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to Cupboard Chili

  1. Lainey,
    Well I'll just have to get my crockpot out and do some magic with it cause this sounds real good about now. Love ya. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.