Being Me

Why do we have so much trouble being ourselves? 
This thought has often made it's way through the cracks and crevices of Kate's mind. Do we fear opening
up and being completely honest? Is it the conformity to be what everyone else expects us to be that prevents us from showing others who we truly are? I'll admit it, there are times when I lock it up and put my true self away.. but more often than not, I think I do a good job of being me. And I've come to a point in my life where I'm really proud of that. I'm weird, dramatic, and way to frank...but no matter how often people tell me that, it doesn't change the fact that that's who I am. 

Being strong willed and independent has given way to not really caring what others think of me. On occasion this frankness sometimes comes back to bite me, but for the most part, I think this allows me to embrace who I am. A couple weeks ago we did self evaluations at work. After we discussed the core values we believed we held, we went around our group and expressed to each other what we saw in our peers. I was taken aback when one of my co-workers said that I was very candid...that I dressed the way I wanted and said what was on my mind. After hearing that, the rest of the day I felt so empowered by her statement. It made me feel secure and proud of myself, that being me, was a value in itself. :)


Everyone is so different and I love embracing that, especially in myself. There were times back in high 
school where I struggled with the fact that I didn't want to be like everyone else and that I didn't seem to
 fit in. I didn't realize it then, but it was my way of establishing my individuality. Giving way to knowing myself better and what I wanted for my future. I doubt I'd be living in Michigan, married to my soul mate, working my dream job, running marathons, blessed with beautiful friends, and living such a healthy lifestyle if I hadn't had embraced myself and said, "I'm going to do what I want and be who I wanna be." 

Friends, be who you wanna be. 



Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to Being Me

  1. I love the message of this post. It is so so TRUE.
    AND I love your outfit, the lace in the top is very pretty!

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kept this in my bloglovin reader for DAYS because I knew I wanted to come and read this as soon as I made it through my giant paper that snuck up on me. ANYWAY.

    I absolutely love this. I would like to think I generally have this same attitude and the only difference between our situations is that I have no idea what I'm doing after I graduate. But I'm gonna be strong-willed and sure of myself wherever I wander. (:

    At any rate, I'm glad I made it to this post (finally) to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.