Whole Wheat Hippie Crackers



If someone would have told me in high school that in the future I would end up swearing off meat, commercial body products, and stop washing my hair every day... I would probably laugh at this future "hippie." Yeah, I'm a little bit granola, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've learned more about myself, food, and our environment in the last three years than I have in the previous 24 years of my life... and I want to keep on that journey.   



I used to eat crackers like it was my business. During my summer job cross pollinating corn, I remember devouring packaged peanut butter crackers every single day. In college, Wheat Thins and cheese was basically a staple. Once I found out what was in both, I rarely ate crackers again. Until my mom made me these Easy & Gluten Free Vegan Crackers from Oh She Glows. 



A little thicker than normal packaged crackers, these babies were salty and crispy. And they didn't last the weekend in our house. I told myself I had to make these, but kept thinking how time consuming it probably would be. Oh was I wrong. 




Blend, Roll, Cut, Bake. 
That's it. And now I'm back on my cracker craze. 





These guys tasted amazing with a spread of homemade vegan cheese. 
I'm thinking peanut butter crackers will be happening soon as well. 

Whole Wheat Hippie Crackers
adapted from Oh She Glows

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry) 
1 cup almonds, ground
4 TB flax seeds, ground
2 TB nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
2 TB hemp seeds
2 TB seasame seeds
1/2 cup water
1 tsp olive oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease baking sheets. 
Ground almonds until fine in food processor, just before the point of turning them into a paste.
Mix together the rest of the dry ingredients with the almonds. Add in water & oil and mix well. Knead together with your hands and shape into a ball. Roll dough out as thin as possible and cut into desired size. Bake at 350F for 10-20 minutes. This truly depends on the thickness & oven as I rolled mine pretty thin and they were well done. Whereas my mom said she could have baked her's for 20 minutes, instead of 18 minutes. So watch those crackers! 

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.