Run Away // Gazelle Girl Half Marathon

It never fails. Despite the hundreds of races I've ran in, the nerves and anxiety of race day alway make their way in. Toes start to tingle and I feel like my heart might beat right out of my chest. It's an explosion of butterflies in my stomach. The Gazelle Girl Half Marathon was no exception - putting my running career and my real life career in the same boat - pretty much a recipe for amped up nerves. Working the expo the day before, the calm before the storm hit. We had pulled off a successful expo, we just needed the race day to go just as well. Mother Nature decided to make things interesting race day morning. I didn't care - I just wanted to run. After the race start, the anxiety left me completely. After mile 5 I felt comfortable; at ease. After mile 7 the energy of over 3,000 women running towards one goal hit me. With an out and back course, I started to run past all the ladies who had yet to hit the half way point. Cheers, waves, and yells of good luck poured from the women I ran past. It lifted my soul, put a huge smile on my face, and it made me run faster. Never have I encountered the magnitude of pure spirit in a race before. Finishing the race in 1:35 and 15th overall, I didn't beat my personal record, but I was still extremely proud of myself. 

I'd say this photo pretty much sums up my race. Hell yeah! 
Photo credit - Sweaty Photo
See you next year Gazelle Girls! 

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.